Bob Rohlf Interns Renew Annual Bake Off
2019-07-12 CATEGORY: Starlight
The Starlight Theatre staff came together to celebrate the 4th of July last week at an all-staff picnic. Employees enjoyed food, a raffle, and each other’s company to kick off the holiday. Dessert was provided by seven Starlight interns, who participated in the newly revived “Intern Bake-Off Competition.” Staff members picked their top choices and the winning interns earned prizes plus—best of all—bragging rights. Try out the award-winning recipes below!
Tyler Armer, Group Sales Intern (First Place)
“Having my desk on the opposite side of the venue and being separated from most of the office always makes me particularly excited about the prospect of mingling, so one of my favorite parts of the event was getting the chance to interact with all the people I don’t get to mix with quite so frequently.”
Recipe: Cookie Dough Cheesecake
- 36 oz. of chocolate chip cookie dough
- 16 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 9x13 in. pan with non-stick foil.
- Spread about ¾ of the cookie dough onto the bottom of the pan. Press down to create a layer.
- Use an electronic mixer to beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Add in eggs and vanilla. Beat together until fully combined.
- Pour cheesecake mix into pan to fully cover the cookie dough base.
- Form remaining cookie dough into flattened chunks (feel free to be creative with shapes) and lightly press into cheesecake layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Refrigerate in airtight container overnight or until completely cool.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!
Rachel Yaros, Marketing Intern (Second Place)
“I am thankful to be a part of such a great intern group and staff! The event was tons of fun because everyone got involved (and a little competitive). There was so much good food and fun activities!”
Recipe: Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Bars
- 40 crushed Oreos
- 5 Tbsp. melted butter
- 3 8 oz. packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 ¾ cups of water
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup of flour
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 eggs
- Red and blue gel food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Crush up the Oreos in a food processor.
- Mix the Oreos and melted butter in a bowl.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with the Oreo-butter mixture.
- Bake it for 10 minutes. Then, let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Put it in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl to make the batter.
- Add your vanilla and eggs (one by one). Fold them into the batter.
- Add in the sour cream and fold in.
- Add the cream cheese and mix on medium until smooth.
- Divide the batter into three bowls and add different food coloring to each.
- On your cooled crust, add spoonfuls of batter from each bowl.
- Take a knife and smooth some colors together. Do not cut into the crust. This will make the final product resemble tie-dye.
- Take a pan (the same size as the cheesecake pan or larger) and fill it halfway up with water. Place in the oven on the bottom rack.
- Cover the top of the cheesecake pan with tin foil. Place it on the middle rack of the oven. Cook for 60 minutes.
- Once done, let the cheesecake chill for 4-6 hours. Serve chilled.
Maria Gnoza, Education & Outreach Intern (Third Place)
“The last all-staff event we had with the interns was when I first started. It was so exciting to see how much everyone has bonded since that time, and I realized how much more comfortable I was with the Starlight team”.
Recipe: Oreo Truffles
- 36 Oreo cookies
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 4 packages (4 oz. each) semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- Crush all Oreos until fine.
- Mix cream cheese and crushed Oreos until blended.
- Shape into 1-inch balls. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Dip balls in melted chocolate. Place them on a waxed paper-lined pan.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Keep refrigerated until serving.