This is a key position in the Starlight Theatre Operations department, providing event-day Guest services and ensuring a world-class experience for Starlight Theatre Guests. This position assists the Operations Manager, Vice President of Operations, Ticket Office, Event Staff and Volunteers in ensuring the ultimate in Guest satisfaction. Through certification (coordinated and paid by Starlight) as a Trained Crowd Manager, this position will play a vital role in assisting Guests during emergency (and inclement weather) situations.
Note— essential functions are rotated daily so all GA staff have the opportunity to work in all areas.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
Direct and Manage Starlight Theatre’s Guest Experience during ingress & egress (40% of job)
- Maintain a visible, active, personable, vibrant and enthusiastic presence at each entry gate
- Monitor pedestrian traffic volume & flow; announce redirection as necessary
- Answer Guest questions and provide assistance as needed
- Maintain communication with Operations Manager regarding pedestrian flow. Balance staff levels, including volunteers, as needed to facilitate safe and timely Guest ingress
- Understand the basic operating functions of hand-held metal detectors
- Monitor gates after volunteer responsibilities conclude to prevent unauthorized entrance
- Interact with Guests who are leaving early (providing service recovery if needed)
- Inspect oversized bags as needed and monitor for restricted items upon guest entry
- Actively thank all Guests at the conclusion of the evening, gather bulk feedback
- Remain at gate/position after event until all Guests have departed the venue and you are dismissed by the Operations Manager
Direct and Manage Starlight Theatre’s Guest Experience during events (30% of job)
- Maintain a visible and active presence within/adjacent the seating area and Applause Club as assigned
- Provide first-level intervention for situations disruptive to the Starlight Guest Experience:
- Cell phone usage, including texting, emailing, photos and video during Broadway shows
- Photography or videography, dependent on artist restrictions
- Other interruptions to the majority Guest experience as they arise
- Minor conflicts between Guests
- Escalate continuing problems to Operations Manager for resolution when necessary
- Perform the assigned functions of a Trained Crowd Manager, including, but not limited to, assisting with evacuation (ambulatory and wheelchair), venue search and recovery, interaction with emergency services personnel
Courtesy Shuttle service (15% of job)
- Provide courtesy shuttle (15- & 6-passenger golf carts) service for Guests in need of assistance in transportation from parking areas to the nearest gate
- Patrol assigned parking areas prior to show, offering assistance to Guests who might benefit from shuttle assistance
- Prioritize offered assistance as necessary and appropriate
- Communicate with your GuestASSIST Team members and the Operations Manager regarding the need for wheelchair assistance from the gate to the seating location
Gate and Ticket Office support (10% of job)
- Provide first-level service for scanner problems and ticket scanning issues
- Resolve any ticketing questions beyond the scope of volunteer responsibility
- Assist with Will Call and Community Ticket procedures as requested by Ticket
- Office Supervisor or Director of Ticket Services
Wheelchair Assist (5% of job)
- Provide seating assistance to Guests utilizing wheelchairs
- Push personal or Starlight-owned wheelchairs to and from the Guest’s ticketed seat location
- Maintain a log of inbound assists
- Organize, schedule and perform outbound assists to facilitate timely egress
Take a lead role in assisting Guests in the event of an emergency situation (1% of job)
- Complete IAVM Trained Crowd Manager online training (required – Phase 1) and on-premise Phase 2 training
- Know all Starlight Theatre emergency procedures thoroughly and comfortably
- Be able to implement Starlight emergency procedures
Guest Interaction Guidelines (GIG)
1. Friendly First• Smile
• Introduce yourself
• Remember that we’re here for our Guests
2. Image is Everything• Keep it clean
• Dress it up
• Everyone is watching you
• Looking good = feel great
3. Hands-on Helpfulness• Seek them out!
• Practice random acts of kindness
• Lead the way
• Remember GIG #1
Uniform required— Starlight-provided logo shirt with your khaki pants/shorts. Two shirts will be provided; additional shirts are available for purchase. Shirts are required to be tucked in.
Attendance at Starlight-provided training sessions is mandatory.
- 2019 Orientation dates: TBA (early spring 2019)
- First-year GuestASSIST training: 10 hours. Dates TBA
- Advanced GuestASSIST training: 3 hours. Dates TBA
GuestASSIST staff call time is generally 30 minutes prior to the opening of public gates. Shifts typically run from 5:30/6:30 PM to 11/11:30 PM on event dates, but may vary. GuestASSIST team members work on an advance sign-up basis. GA team member candidates should be available to work 75% or more of Starlight’s event dates.
2019 Event Schedule
Starlight Theatre’s 2019 Broadway season includes the following shows and dates:
- Rock of Ages - May 31 to June 2
- The Wizard of Oz - June 10 to 16
- Beautiful – The Carole King Musical - June 25 to 30
- CATS - July 9 to 14
- A Bronx Tale - July 30 to August 4
- Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy - Sept. 6 to 8
- Hello, Dolly! - Sept. 24 to 29
Starlight will have 20 to 25 concerts per summer. Concert series dates for 2019 will be announced soon and can be found at http://www.kcstarlight.com/concerts
- Exemplary positive attitude and Guest relations skills, with prior experience a plus
- Outstanding verbal communication skills
- Internally motivated to provide the highest in customer service levels
- Ability to work outdoors, sometimes under challenging conditions, including but not limited to extreme heat, rain, cold, humidity
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances, and operate manual and motorized wheelchairs on up to a 20% grade
- Ability to function calmly in emergencies and other high-stress situations
- Successful completion of TCM certification through IAVM
- Ability to read tickets and locate seats correctly within venue
- Ability to assist Guests with questions
- Valid driver’s license
- Candidates must submit to and pass pre-employment drug testing for employment consideration.
*The employer reserves the right to change or add duties to this position as long as the changes and/or additions are consistent with the job classification.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please submit a fully completed application.
Or, drop off your completed materials in person at our administrative offices, located inside Gate 8 at 4600 Starlight Road, Kansas City, Missouri, 64132, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
No phone calls, please.
Applications may be picked up in person or are available for download at the above link.
Starlight Theatre Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity organization and we maintain an alcohol and drug-free workplace. Candidates must submit to and pass pre-employment drug testing for employment consideration.