With five new musicals making their Kansas City debuts at Starlight in 2016, the upcoming Broadway season is one you won’t want to miss!
Starlight season ticket holders began the process of renewing their subscriptions for 2016 in late October. Now, advance season tickets for the 2016 Broadway season are on sale to the general public. Those who purchase advance tickets now are in line for the best available season seats once renewals are processed.
Starlight will again offer a summer Broadway season filled with Tony Award®-winning musicals, family shows and, for the second consecutive year, two Broadway weekend specials.
“We are committed each season to offering a mix of show titles intended to appeal to our guests’ diverse theatrical tastes and varied interests,” said Rich Baker, Starlight president and CEO. “We also continue to deliver top-quality live entertainment at a value.”
This year Starlight’s six-show season ticket packages start at just $60 and include free parking and concession discounts. Three- and six-month payment plans are available. Single show tickets will go on sale in the spring with prices as low as $11 each – less than the price of many movies!
Starlight’s 2016 six-show Broadway season lineup features:
- Matilda The Musical (May 24-28) – This national touring show took home four Tony Awards in 2013 and is a great show for the family. Based on the beloved novel by Roald Dahl, Matilda the Musical is the story of an extraordinary girl who, armed with a vivid imagination and sharp mind, dares to take a stand and change her destiny.
- The Bridges of Madison County (June 14-19) – If you’re looking for a romantic night at Starlight, this is the show to choose. The best-selling novel is now a two-time Tony Award-winning musical. Set in rural Iowa, The Bridges of Madison County is the unforgettable story about a chance encounter that leaves an Iowa housewife and a traveling photographer caught between decision and desire.
- Bullets Over Broadway (June 28-July 3) – Written by Woody Allen, Bullets Over Broadway is the story of a young playwright who accepts a financial offer from a mobster looking to please his showgirl girlfriend. Expect big laughs, colorful characters and songs that made the ‘20s roar!
- Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (July 13-19) – Bring the kids and the grandkids to this Disney favorite. The classic musical of Belle and the Beast has enchanted more than 35 million audience members worldwide. It’s a love story with a lesson that is perfect for all ages.
- If/Then (July 26-31) – This contemporary musical is set in New York City and features unforgettable songs and a deeply moving story. The musical follows one woman’s two possible life paths – looking at the realities of today and the possibilities of tomorrow.
- A Gentleman’s Guide to Love & Murder (August 9-14) – Who knew that getting away with murder could be so much fun?! This 2014 Tony Award winner for Best Musical gives us the hilarious story of Monty Navarro, heir to a family fortune, who sets out to jump the line of succession by eliminating the eight relatives who stand in his way.
And there are even more choices! Two Broadway weekend specials, which can be added or swapped into a season ticket package, bring Starlight’s total musical count to eight:
- ONCE (May 20-22) – The winner of eight Tony Awards in 2012 including Best Musical, ONCE tells the enchanting tale of a Dublin street musician and a beautiful young woman who takes an interest in his haunting love songs.
- The Rat Pack is Back (September 9-11) – This spirited show takes audiences back to 1960s Las Vegas when “The Rat Pack” – Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr. and Dean Martin – lit up the night with their no-holds-barred nightclub act.
The first seven Broadway shows at Starlight in 2016 will start at 8 p.m., and the final show in September may start earlier at 7:30 p.m. Gates open at 6 p.m. for all shows. All guests are encouraged to arrive early to enjoy dinner in the Applause Club, backstage tours and pre-show performances.