If Starlight Theatre runs like a well-oiled machine on summer nights, it’s due in large part to the many Starlight Ambassadors who volunteer their time and talents all year long.
So, on the evening of Oct. 6, Starlight gave its generous volunteers a big round of applause, awards, prizes and a tasty meal at the annual Ambassador Appreciation Dinner. More than 200 Ambassadors and guests attended – and appeared to have a very good time!
“This dinner is our way of saying Thank You to the people who last year contributed more than 8,400 hours of volunteer time to Starlight,” said Justin White, Starlight’s vice president of operations. White shared emcee duties with house manager Nick Riojas, and together they recognized the individuals who help out in all sorts of ways – from assisting with auditions and cast parties, to scanning tickets, ushering, leading tours, working in the Ovation gift shop and so much more.
In 2015 Starlight Ambassadors stepped up to new challenges, too. They worked at our first indoor production, 50 Shades! The Musical Parody, in February, and they staffed our new Guest Information kiosks at every Broadway show and concert.
Here are a few fun facts about the 2015 Starlight Ambassadors:
- 8,435 total volunteer hours, a 4 percent increase from 2014
- 198 total members
- 34 new members
- 113 members with 5+ years of service
- 45 members with 10+ years of service
- 2 more members joined the 25-Year Club, joining Nedra Salisbury (28 years) and Jan Morevitska (47 years)
At the Oct. 6 event, Ambassadors received years-of-service pins and Shining Star Awards for going above and beyond their assigned duties. In addition, four individuals received the evening’s top honors:
- New! Golden Shovel Award – Joe Arri for his weekly work with Starlight’s horticulture team
- Rookies of the Year – Barb Manning and Guy McDonald Jr. for excelling in their first year
- Ambassador of the Year – Anja Clasberg for her leadership of the Community Ticket Program team
- Don Woodson Award – Melissa Weston for her dedication to the Starlight Ambassador program
Many thanks to all of the generous individuals who volunteer at Starlight and bring their magic to our guests, performers and venue!
Click to learn more or join the Starlight Ambassadors.
Photo (top): Ambassadors recognized with special awards for their exemplary service were (second from left) Melissa Weston, Joe Arri and Anja Clasberg. They were joined on stage by (left) Justin White, Starlight vice president of operations, and (right) Starlight house manager Nick Riojas.
Photo: Taking home Shining Star Awards for their Guest Information duties were Ambassadors (left to right) Kamay Plunkett, Dan Fitzmaurice, Kathy Hemme and Norene Gaines.